Blog Archive

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Graduation (Hell Froze Over)

So after 9 years since graduating high school and 7 years since coming home from my mission, I GRADUATED. Now its normal for a person to graduate in 7-8 years from college. Then I realized they call them Doctors, actually a friend of mine (yes, I still have friends) told me that, the jerk.
I worked really hard for a Bachelors in Business Administration - Finance at the University of Houston. I help bring to the University close to $30,000 for my tuition money. After 2 years there and all that money I attended the ceremony. It was great and nice besides the fact that they took forever with the Phd's and Master's that they had to rush through the bachelors. This is where the plot thickens.
We have these cards to announce our name and keep us organized for announcing. So it has our name degree and a place of how to pronounce your name. So I figure that Michael and Paul wouldn't be hard to pronounce but Egbert is a whole new ball game. I have heard eeeeegabert, ejbert, and eglebert. So I put on my card Egg Bert just like that.
So as they are pushing us up on the stage there is a 4 person pile up at the president of the school. So as I finally approach the President, I hear "Mi blank (i'll fill later)" Paul Egbert. I was like wait did I hear what I thought I heard. Yep, my family confirmed the impossible, with snide remarks following the confirmation. So after all this I put into my university they, a doctorate Moron announced me as:
MICHELLE PAUL EGBERT
My reaction was classic on stage, I gave the President a looked like I saw a ghost, about to kick someones a$! and Really! The president gives me a look like are you ok, and follows with the remark, "Congratulations, I guess?" I was pissed, but then I thought of this great blog. This will be great to vent on a blog. Also, if I didn't vent and a few certain people got a hold of this story before I told them. Then it would turn into a very disastrous myth. So yes I finally graduated and so did Michelle Paul Egbert. I hate to be that person's parents. Come on, who names their kid Michelle Paul Egbert. Its like naming your kid Eric Loyal Atkinson. Now that's a disaster of child waiting to happen.

3 comments:

Becky and Ben said...

Congrats, Michelle! That is a great story. What idiot messes up such a common name? One with his head up his bum. Well, it is exciting anyway. And now what will you do with you life????

Cody said...

How in the hell did they mess up your first name? When I graduated the announcer said Villarreal correctly and I didn't even have to tell them how! Well, at least you are finished.

Gumby said...

I always knew you were a princess and I think the announcer knew too. So how does it feel to finally be out? (Not school, I meant the closet.) Just playin'. Congratulations big guy.