Blog Archive

Friday, November 6, 2009

Golfing and Birthday

Ok, so my old man started to pick up golf as a hobby. For years, he has gone to the driving range to wack golf balls for fun. In the past year or so he thought that since he is approaching retirement that he needed a hobby to keep him busy and that it would be golf. He has since bought new clubs and we bought him a new bag for his last birthday. He is set to play golf!!!
Side note, my Dad has a serious problem when it comes to driving the ball. It hooks really bad or slices. He has been trying to figure out how to fix it without going to get lessons. Hasn't worked out and he is waiting for a free moment to go get some lessons. This is Crucial Information about the story I'm going to tell ya.
The story goes that my Mom has some wonderful friends up in Denver, that she has known since high school. We have in one way or form have celebrated major milestones in each family. This family's oldest daughter was having a surprise Birthday party for her husband. I say surprise because she is going to announce to her step dad and husband that she is pregnant with her first! She asked my family to come up to join in on the party. My mom and brother initially went up and then after some convincing my dad and sister went up later on in the week. That is another funny story for later.
So my Dad decides to go up since my mom convinced him that it will not all be about them. She said that on the Sunday that they were up there, that Russ and Sher (parents of the family friends), were going to do 18 holes at a local course. My Dad with zero emotion gets prepare by bring up his clubs.
So golf day, Russ, Sher, my sister and dad go to the course early in the morning. They are about 8-9 holes into their day. Doing fairly good on the course, up to this point.
My Dad is teeing off on the next hole. He gets set and analyzed what he wants to do with the tee off, but never goes the way he wants it. So he tees off, he said it was the best shot ever on the course. He said it was going straight and easy 200+ yards. Only bad thing happen...About 50 or so yards out a bird swoops down in the path of the ball. And POOF ball drops and so does the bird with feathers speckling the fairway!!! It was kind of like the Randy Johnson incident (see clip), that was said by my dad and sister.

My sister said they were in complete shock with jaws to the ground. When she texted me, I called her up and started laughing. She said it wasn't funny the bird died. I told her, I'm not laughing at the death of the bird...I'm laughing at the fact Dad finally hit a perfect tee shot and was ruined by a 1 in a million chance of a bird swooping in the way!
So about a few weeks back, my dad had a birthday. Since it was right around Halloween I knew I could re-create the event for a gift. So my sister and I found a We bought it and cut a hole in its side. We bought extra feathers and golf balls. We implanted a golf ball in the hole of the bird. We made a plaque stating "In Memory of I.B.Whacked". We then put it in a box and sprinkled feather all over the box with the box of golf balls which were Nike Juice. So we customized the box and it was then called Nike Juiced Golf Balls!!! When my dad open this amazing gift, his reaction is priceless "What the Heck" "OOOOOOK" "This is the Respect I get from my family on my birthday" in a sarcastic voice!!!
Cost Structure of Gift:
Little statue/prop of a crow $8
Extra Feathers $2
Golf Balls $20
Hole in Bird 5 minutes
Customized Golf Ball Box 1 Minute
Plaque 3 Minutes
Dad's Birthday Gift Response "Priceless"
Sitting on my Dad's Desk at work "Classic"



2 comments:

Cody said...

HAHAHA! That was hilarious!

Tricia said...

It's so great to see you posting crafts on your blog...now I can come here for perfect homemade projects for all the men in our family :) Hilarious story. Is he going to get lessons now?