Blog Archive

Friday, March 6, 2009

Good Times in the Slow Lane of Ogden



One summer My Brother-in-law, Eric and I wanted to make some spare cash. Our father-in-law, Jerry decide to help us out by employing us. Jerry was having some water troubles in his basement in Ogden. It was coming from the outside seeping in through the basement walls. So he wanted us to dig a foundation drain around the house. We had to dig 6-9 feet deep in order for the drain to work. We did this all summer of 2006 up till Eric's departure into the Air Force.
One day, I got off work early to get a head start on the drain. I pulled up to the house and I see Eric up to no good. He was crouched behind one of the cars in the driveway. He quietly with some gestures told me to go into the house.
As I walk into the house I see a towel jammed into the doorbell. Eric walks around back and tells me about his amazing adventure with the neighborhood kids. Who I might add were in his sunday school class that Eric teaches. These Angel of Kids were doorbell ditching, knowing Keira (who was under a year old at the time) was sleeping. They were doing this all day to Tricia. So Eric and I went on a mission.
I went outside acting like I know nothing and all of sudden I'm getting bombed by eggs and shot by super soakers. Too bad I lived about 5 blocks away or I would of pulled out immediately my paintball guns.
So Eric and I devised a plan, to capture these kids one by one, all three of them. As we caught the first devil child, we tied them up to the huge, I think Maple, tree in our father-in-laws front lawn. We turned on the garden hose with a pressure nossle and had Tricia sit there threatening them. If they make any more Tricia dowsed them!
As time wore on, for about an hour or so we caught all 4 of them. They did put up an exellent fight. I think they have a chicken farm in their backyard, cause they had neverending supply of eggs. Finally after catching them all. We and when I say we, Eric, Tricia and I tied them together all four with their backs to each other. We tied their hands, feet and bodies together. We then soaked them with their super soakers and the garden hose.
Then we made them walk slowly down the road with a sign saying "We were caught Doorbell Ditching!!!" Tons of cars slowed down and started laughing at them. We then took them to their house. We cracked about 2-3 eggs on each of their heads and then doorbell ditched their parents.
We found out later that the mom just woke up when she heard the doorbell. She came downstairs and open the door seeing her boys and some of the other neighborhood boys. They were tied together completely soaked, with eggs dripping off their heads, and a sign saying " We were caught Doorbell Ditching!!!" with super soakers on the ground in front of them.
We went up to the mom and told her we were trying to teach the boys a lesson. She said good, they deserve it. Somebody has to when their dad isn't around. We then asked if they learned their lesson and they said yes. So we had them over for a movie after they cleaned up.
About an hour later, we were at home waiting for the Angels to come over. Their dad was with them. He came in and gave us all a high five and said thank you for what we did. He was so happy that someone put their kids into place when he wasn't around. He was in the middle of a transfer to St. George, UT.
In the end, we had a huge ol' party instead of diggging the ditch and working. It was a good days work!!!

2 comments:

Gumby said...

You couldn't post the picture of me in my red dress could you? That white one makes me look fat. Those were some good times.

Tricia said...

You miss us so much if you're reminicing about those days...he still doesn't want any trees, so weird. When is Kristen due again?